KCI Program Manager/Contract Manager
Location: Kansas City, Mo.
Client: Kansas City International Airport
Burns & McDonnell served as the program manager/contract manager on a three-year improvement program valued at $283 million that completely transformed the airport’s three terminal buildings. The firm was responsible for scheduling, design oversight, community relations and program/construction management for the project.
Using effective leadership, organization, experience, communication and management control, Burns & McDonnell provided financial planning and management and was responsible for developing and managing systems to manage budget, controlling change orders, monitoring construction schedules, and providing quality assurance and quality control.
An important element of the project, the communication plan developed and implemented a comprehensive strategy to communicate with local and regional consumer airport users and staff all pertinent information regarding the KCI Terminal Improvement Program. Information emphasized project benefits, focusing on positive overall image of the project, airport and Kansas City Aviation Department.
- Organizing of special events in conjunction with project milestones.
- Conducting research with stakeholders to identify most effective communication methods.
- Preparing scripts for the project's information line, radio broadcasts, special events, etc.
- Developing alliances with local and regional media to advertise public information efforts.
- Developing and disseminating informational materials such as news releases and articles for publication.
- Serving as the prime liaison between those involved in the construction project and the client's public relations staff.
- Developing and maintaining a Web site, which allowed users to sign up to receive construction updates via e-mail, provided an overview of the project and phases, and provided access to real-time data on arriving and departing flights.
- Establishing a local information line that allowed travelers to call for updates on construction activities and tips for navigating and parking at the airport.
- Launching branding campaign for project, Jazzin' Up the Place, which included television, radio and print advertisements.
- Establishing a speakers bureau to provide information to travel agencies, businesses and community organizations.
- Producing "Traveler's TIPS," a pocket-sized guide, which described the project and provided information related to construction activities.